State Policies to Prevent Obesity
Strong state policies play a key role in improving access to healthy food and increasing physical activity, which are essential for helping children grow up at a healthy weight.
- Dune Black Mid Calf Suede Boots Size 40
- Kenneth Cole New York Women's Vivica Flat Slide Sandal
- Ladies Party shoes Synthetic Leather High Heels Zip Strap Sandals UK Size S971
- MW008166 - ELEGANT BLACK-BEIGE TONE SLINGBACK BLOCK HEEL SHOES (SIZE 34 - 40)
- NWOB LA BADIA Made in ,Black Patent Leather Plastic,Wedge Women's shoes,US9
- SoftWalk Women's Marlowe Motorcycle Boot
- Steve Madden Mens Ethin 2 Leather Oxfords Size 12 Tan Brown Dress shoes Wingtip
- Womens Luxury Rhinestone Creepers Platform Shiny Loafers Sneaker shoes Low Heel
- 99 Steve Madden Womens Gravityy Ankle Strap Platform Wedge Pump, Pink, US 7
- Beautiful Just Fab black Women's sexy suede shoes
- Cecelia New York Amara Black Suede Closed Toe Open Back Slide Flat Mule
- Dr. Andrew Weil by Orthaheel Women's Faith Sandals, UK 5 EU 38 V1859
- Goodwin Smith MENS HUGH BLACK VELVET LOAFER Mens shoes
- Karen Scott Ankle Boots Womens Nancy Heels Zip Black Pull On shoes Size 11M
- Men Genuine Leather Lace Up Moccasins Loafers British Grace Driving Casual shoes
- New Clarks Cloudsteppers Collection SILLIAN BLAIR Leather Women shoes Sz.7W
- NWT Ann Taylor Lyra Suede Quilted Slide Sandals - Terracotta pink - Size 9
- Sam Edelman Opal Women's High Heels Pumps Pewter Grey Rasputin Leather Size 7 M
- Sundance Women’s Forest Green Size 39 Embroidered Blooms Elastic Flats shoes
- Women Pumps Loafers Pull On Low Tops Leather Comfort Retro Leisure Gommino shoes
- Womens Missoni Converse Size 6
- ALLEN EDMONDS MAXFIELD MEN'S BLACK LEATHER SLIP ON TASSEL LOAFERS SIZE 12B VGC
- Born Porto H43726 Mens Brown Leather Comfort Pull On Chelsea Ankle Boots 11.5 D
- Diesel Mens shoes brown distressed leather shoes TOKO style size 10.5
- Inov-8 Womens F-Lite 235 V2 Low Top Lace Up, Light Grey Teal Purple, Size 6.0
- Mens Black Leather Camper Brand shoes Size 42
- Nib women Asics Gel-Venture 6 shoes Course Randonnée B & D Large Bk
- Reebok Cl Lthr White Unisex Walking shoes Size 6.5M
This feature tracks the status of each state’s efforts on more than 20 policies aimed at preventing obesity and supporting health.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Research
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has proposed a rule to tighten SNAP work waivers. A new analysis finds that more than 1 million SNAP participants could be affected, and that the vast majority of them live alone and in deep poverty.
Provisions included in the House Farm Bill would have resulted in up to 1.1 million households that received SNAP benefits in 2017 experiencing an up to $75 cut in their monthly benefit. The provision was not included in the Farm Bill that became law.
An earlier analysis found that about one in 11 households receiving SNAP benefits, roughly 2 million in total, would lose eligibility under certain provisions of the House Farm Bill. These provisions were removed before the bill was signed into law.
Nearly One in Six Young People Has Obesity
October 2018—Nationwide, 15.8 percent of young people ages 10 to 17 have obesity, according to the newest national data. Mississippi has the highest youth obesity rate, at 26.1 percent, while Utah has the lowest, at 8.7 percent.
Deeper Dive on New Youth Data
The Health Resources and Services Administration’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau (HRSA MCHB) funds and directs the annual National Survey of Children’s Health, which includes the new national and state-by-state obesity rate data for youth ages 10 to 17. We asked a few questions to Dr. Lydie Lebrun-Harris, a senior social scientist in the Office of Epidemiology and Research at HRSA MCHB about what the new data tell us.
The State of Childhood Obesity
The federal government monitors obesity rates among children and teens with major surveys that track national trends and state rates. According to NHANES (the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), 18.5% of youth ages 2 to 19 had obesity in 2015-16, the highest rate ever documented by the survey.
In 2017, 26.1% of high school students met physical activity guidelines, according to the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System.
In 2015-16, 18.5% of U.S. children ages 2 to 19 had obesity, according to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
According to the same survey, in 1999-2000, 13.9% of U.S. children ages 2 to 19 had obesity.
Adult Obesity Rates Rise in Six States, Top 35% in Seven
September 2018 – Adult obesity rates increased in Iowa, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and South Carolina between 2016 and 2017, and remained stable in the rest of states. The adult obesity rate was at or above 35% in seven states and at least 30% in 29 states. West Virginia has the highest adult obesity rate at 38.1% and Colorado has the lowest at 22.6%.
West Virginia has the highest rate of adult diabetes, 15.2%. Diabetes rates rose in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, New Jersey and South Dakota between 2016 and 2017.
Eight of the 10 states with the highest rates of hypertension are in the South. West Virginia has the highest rate at 43.5%.
Kentucky has the highest rate of physical inactivity among adults, 34.4%. Nine of the 10 states with the highest rates are in the South.